Thursday, November 19, 2009







It's been way too long since I have done any interviews on my blog so I thought it would be fun to get back into the swing of things and highlight some local businesses that I think do amazing work, are local, and have wonderful feedback!

I had the opportunity to sit down with Janet, owner of Brooklyn Bridal and Prom to chat about some of the great things about her charming and quaint, yet WONDERFUL store right here in Brooklyn, Michigan!

Brides, bridesmaid, and girls looking for prom dresses... don't miss out on stopping by Janet's store on your dress hunt. I promise you won't be disappointed!

1. What do you feel sets you apart from other bridal stores?
The warm and charming atmosphere coupled with high quality gowns that are priced very reasonable.

2.Do you carry hard to fit and plus sizes?
Yes I do! I carry sizes 0-34 in bridal and bridesmaid, both petites and longs, and sizes 00-34 in prom styles. I have personally fitted customers who have physical restrictions and handicaps.

3. How do you choose dresses from your store?
I work closely with the designers and their salespersons to chose gowns designed for certain body types. I choose gowns based on the past inquiries and customer feedback. I have chosen a large variety of styles to be able to offer something for everyone.

4. How do you keep up with the latest trends?
I depend on the designers and their salespersons to tell me what is HOT! They will advertise in the magazines, on the internet, and use hollywood celebrities to push the product. If I have it in the store based on what they tell me, I am ahead of the curve.
5.What other services do you offer within your store?
Wedding Planning!! The day-of-coordination is the best value! This allows brides to relax and enjoy, but also the mothers can relax :)
Additionally, I offer wedding gown cleaning and preservation that comes with a 20 year guarantee, prom gown registration, measurement services, and ironing or pressing of any formal wear.

6.When should brides order their wedding dress?
As soon as they know they are in love with a gown! Gowns do become discontinued or have price increases. Once they know they found "the perfect gown" they should buy it.
-Bridesmaids?
Bridesmaid dresses are often dictated by what the bride chooses. I recommend the bride and the bridesmaid have their dresses orders six months out from the wedding date.
-tuxes?
The tuxedos should be chosen, measurements taken, and deposits made, three months before the wedding date.
-mother of the brides?
Mothers' dresses should be ordered four months before the wedding date.

7.Do you offer wedding planning services?
Yes, I do! I love to work with brides and their family. I offer a free initial consultation to show how I can be a benefit to the planning process.

8. What is the most outrageous request you have ever been asked by a bride?
Nothing to crazy really. I once was the taxi service driving the photographer between sites and doing floral deliveries from church to reception site.

9. Do you mainly see local brides or where do brides drive from? What is your service area?
The majority of my brides come from Jackson and Lenawee Counties. Occasionally, there is an out-of-town bride who is visiting her family in our area, stops in to browse, and quicly determines my prices, products, and service are fabulous! I have brides from all over including Illinois, California, Panama, Texas, and Colorado.

10. We think you have an amazing store and selection, brides who are considering driving a long way to see your store, what can they expect to make it worth their drive?
Thank you for the compliment! If the bride has made an appointment she will get dedication and one-on-one service. It's just her, me, and whoever she brings. Being a small intimate boutique, they get the run of the place and don't have to compete for attention or service. I like to recoginze each bride who makes an appointment with a small token of my appreciation.

11.What new trends are you seeing for the upcoming 2010 wedding year?
Feathers, everywhere! On the dresses, in the flowers, in the head pieces, and the decorations. Brides are leaning towards natural and soft textiles. Retro styles are very popular and often the feathers coincide with the era of the gowns.

12. What is the largest wedding party you have ever outfitted?
Last year I fitted a large party of 18: bride, groom, bridesmaids, groomsmen, fathers, and mothers. It was amazing! The family has returned this year with the other daughter who is now engaged and we're working on the next big bridal party!
Also, I a wedding tuxedo party of 17 and all the tuxes fit great.

13. Bridal wear has become more casual for some who want their wedding to represent their style. How do you accomodate these brides such as destination brides?
I have two designer lines in my boutique that specializes in creating destination gowns. Besides being great styles, and fabrics that travel well, many are priced under $350.

14. Lastly, Why did you open a bridal shop and how did you choose Brooklyn to be the "home" for your store?
Over the years I have worked in various positions developing skills and relations in retail and customer service. During the courtship with my husband, I had accumulated such an excessive amount of information that I decided to become a wedding planner. As a wedding planner I met a lot of great people in the wedding industry, and brides and grooms, who inspired me to be my own boss and take it to the next level. Then during my engagement, I had a hard time finding bridal shops who were charming or inviting in our area. Now seeing both sides of the wedding planning process, as the bride and as a planner, I was sure I could open my own bridal boutique and offer something special to the brides and grooms. I worked hard developing a business plan but knew that location was going to be key to my success. As I did the demographics I noticed the corridor of M-50 was highly traveled. It seemed like a natural fit to put a bridal boutique right in the middle of the quaint and charming town of Brooklyn.

Thank you SO much Janet for taking the time to answer a few questions for us

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Located in Tecumseh, Michigan Serving the surrounding areas, MICHIGAN, United States
On Location, Natural Light Photography As well as Studio (in Tecumseh, MI)

Sitemeter